Was arrested for DWI. Released on RR with a returned date. But they will not give me my car. My license is still valid. Car is

Asked about 1 year ago - Bronx, NY

Car is register to me. They say I need a ADA release why n what is this.

Am still paying for this car. I was stopped for my plate light being out. I have been out of work for 3 days already trying to get my car including going with my wife so they can give her the car. HELP really need my car.

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

4

1

Answered . The police likely vouchered the car as arrest evidence. If that is the case the police will not release the car with a property release from the DA. Even if the DA releases it the police may still try to forfeit the car.

2. Scott Glen Cerbin

Pro

3

1

Answered . The NYPD will typically settle these cases for $500 and satisfaction of any conditions imposed on you by the screening provider. The settlement process is pretty straightforward; really just a matter of filling out some paperwork. However, as one of my colleagues noted you will need a release from the DA. Your criminal lawyer should contact the DA's office for this. This can be a headache!

3. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

2

1

Answered . Your car is legally/technically evidence. Your attorney should seek a release from the DA.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

One or more answers have been taken down.