Was arrested for DUI in SD CA. Am moving to India and don't plan on driving in the U.S. again. Can i avoid the DUI classes?

Asked about 2 years ago - San Diego, CA

It is my first DUI. Got pulled over because left brake light was not working. There was an open bottle of whiskey in the back. I was the only one in the car and no one was injured. I requested the blood test instead of the breathalizer and don't know the results.

My misdemeanor arraignment is in mid November. I will have sold my car before then and am not planning on driving in the U.S. again at least for the next five years since i am moving out of the country to India for work.

If i plead guility, will i be able to negotiate the sentence with the help of a public defender so that i don't have to take the DUI classes that will keep me in the U.S. for the next 3 months and complete certain number of community service hours instead.

Or is it wise for me to hire a lawyer privately?

Attorney answers (6)

  1. George B. O'Neill


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . What you are asking is possible... even normal if you were already an out of California resident.

    However I would advise that if you ever plan to return to California that you contact DMV Sacramento after you are gone. Why?? If you are convicted in this case California will require that you be suspended until you complete the required California DUI class. That will haunt you forever.... UNLESS you contact DMV and explain why you cannot complete the class and prove that you do not live here anymore, and prove that you do live somewhere else... AND that you will not be returning to CA for a minimum of 3 years. The DMV can then decide what to do about the class requirement.

    You can skip the above step if it is too much trouble... but if you return to California in the future your license will still be suspended and continue to be suspended pending the COMPLETION of the appropriate DUI class.

  2. David Philip Shapiro


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You will likely need to be present in court unless you hire a private attorney. For that reason alone it is worth hiring a locally experienced criminal defense attorney to handle this for you while you are out of the country. Ultimately the goal is to beat the DUI all together, thus alleviating the court ordered DUI classes as part of the standard probation sentence if convicted.

    Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555
  3. Daniel William Cohen

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you leave the country without appearing in court (either in person or through a lawyer) a warrant will be issued for your arrest. While it is unlikely you will be extradited form India for a DUI, it can cause you problems if you plan to return to the States.

    Although it is generally a standard condition of probation that you attend and complete the class, an attorney should be able to have that condition deleted or stayed indefinitely based on your circumstances.

    However, you may have to take the class if you ever want to drive in California again.

  4. Mark K Rosenfeld

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Get a private lawyer. Fight your case. If your case is handled correctly you should not have to do a class in California. Hopefully, you will not have to do any class or even have a DUI on your record. Stand up and fight for your rights.

    Of course, every DUI case is different and you should consult an experienced DUI defense attorney in your area... more
  5. William Mathew Concidine


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Mr. Cohen-- It is important to deal with your case so a warrant does not go out for your arrest. The public defender will only appear for you if you are present also. An attorney should be able to convince the court not to require the first conviction DUI program due to your move to India. Another issue is whether you have requested a hearing with the DMV, which you have to do within 10 days of your arrest (so if you have not done so yet, consider doing it or hiring an attorney prior to the 10 days so they can do it for you). I suggest calling a few local attorneys who are familiar with the courts here in San Diego and have dealt with DUI cases and the prosecutors in those types of cases. It is important to find an attorney you have a good fit with.

  6. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . That you got a DUI ticket does not mean that you were under the influence, nor does it mean they can prove it by competent evidence. Talk with a DUI/DWI/OWI Drunk Driving defense lawyer before deciding anything else.

    If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.
    Thank you.

    --- Experienced DUI/DWI/OWI/Drunk Driving Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin

    --- Facebook Page Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin Drunk Driving / OWI / DWI / DUI Lawyer

    --- Field sobriety "tests" – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin DUI / DWI / OWI / Drunk Driving lawyer

    --- Drugged Driving/DUI/DWI/Drunk Driving with Prescription Drugs – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin

    --- Which Offenses Count as Priors in Wisconsin? - Madison Dane County Wisconsin DUI OWI Drunk Driving Lawyer answers

    --- Ten Days to Save Your License - Administrative Suspension and Refusals in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin


    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

    I am an experienced Wisconsin drunk driving (DUI/OWI/DWI) defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these Internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This Internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged.

    If something I say disagrees with what your own lawyer is telling you, you should rely on your lawyer who is familiar with you, your entire case, the local courts and practices.

    There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. Those facts should not be put on a public Internet site.

    Most questions are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Few, if any, legal matters should be handled via Internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

    This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. See “more” link below for more.

    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in... more

Related Topics


The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

DUI arrest

A DUI arrest must be based on probable cause: the officer must have enough evidence to arrest, as determined by a combination of factors.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,456 answers this week

2,980 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,456 answers this week

2,980 attorneys answering