Was arrested for bad check charge,stayed in jail for four days, got to go back on the 9th of january. first time for all this

Austin, TX |

checks total 300.00. court said i have been charged with 1t class misdemenor. help dont knowwhat to do help please

Speak to a local criminal defense attorney! Or else see if there is a public defender's office that can help you.

Richard Timothy Jones

Richard Timothy Jones

Travis county does not have a public defender's office. They only appoint attorneys on these types of cases if you claim you didn't write the checks.

Public Defender is probably what you need. I moved your question over to the criminal law section. Hopefully someone can give better advice there.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advise" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here. Please visit my web site: www.avanesianlaw.com for more information about my services.

Richard Timothy Jones

Richard Timothy Jones

No public defender in Austin. See my other comments. www.austincriminaldefenseattorney.com

Michael Avanesian

Michael Avanesian

Thanks! I didn't know that wow.

You need to hire a defense attorney. Most offer free consultations. I would start making calls to get an idea of fees and payment plans. These cases can sometimes be dismissed or reduced if the checks can be paid off in full. An experienced attorney will know how to handle this and keep it off your record.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at www.macyjaggers.com for more information about her services and recent victories.

Richard Timothy Jones

Richard Timothy Jones

If its a first theft by check case, if you pay restitution and take a class they will dismiss. www.austincriminaldefenseattorney.com

These are very common charges, and I handle them often. In Travis County, as long as you don't have a huge history of theft, these cases can usually be dismissed by paying the amount of the hot check to the Travis County Hot Check Division and taking a Hot Check Class. I would advise that you hire an attorney to handle this for you so it gets done properly. I you can get it dismissed, then you will be able to permanently expunge it from your record.

http://www.austin-criminaldefenselawyers.com/

I have been an Austin criminal defense attorney for 20 years. If its a first offense, the county attorney's office will dismiss with restitution and the 8 hour theft by check class. Once the case is dismissed you should hire an attorney to get it expunged.

www.austincriminaldefenseattorney.com

My answers are intended only as general legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for a full consultation with a local experienced criminal defense attorney. For more answers based on my 19 years of experience visit my website, www.austincriminaldefenseattorney.com