Was appointed a GAL. What are the dos and dont when working with a GAL?

Seattle, WA -

Kate M Forrest

Kate M Forrest

Family Law Attorney - Seattle, WA

A local nonprofit legal group published an information packet on this topic that offers good advice: http://www.washingtonlawhelp.org/files/C9D2EA3F...

Good luck!

Bruce Clement

Bruce Clement

Family Law Attorney - Auburn, WA

See my AVVO Legal Guides on child custody and GALs for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. To find my Legal Guides, go the AVVO website at www.AVVO.com; click on “Find a Lawyer”; get to my AVVO home page by clicking on my name or photo; when you get to my AVVO home page scroll down to "Contributions" and then click "Legal Guides." You will get a list of the 29 Legal Guides I have published on AVVO. Scroll down this list and select the topics that are relevant to your question. You may also want to schedule a free ½ hour consultation with me by calling my office at 253-815-8440.

Peter Jaret Abbarno

Peter Jaret Abbarno

Workers' Compensation Lawyer - Centralia, WA

I agree with the previous responses. A GAL is appointed to represent the best interest of the child. Depending on yoru case, a GAL will be interviewing teachers, doctors, people living with you, and they will be visiting your home. A GAL will make recommendations to the court regarding a parenting plan.

It is difficult to provide a do or don't without more information about you case. However, you should retain an attorney if you have concerns.

Related Advice