Warranty Issue

Seattle, WA |

I just purchased a car and the previous owner has the transmission done 3 months ago with 5 years warranty on it. That's the reason why I bought the car. However, just couple days after, the transmission has problems and is leaking, so I called the shop that rebuilt the transmission and have 5 years warranty, the shop has closed down and all the numbers that I called are not in service anymore. Any advices?

Thanks

1. You could try searching for more information about the business on the WA secretary of state website (http://www.sos.wa.gov/corps/). If the business was a corporation or LLC it should be listed here. If you can find the name of the owner you can contact him/her to find out how the warranties are going to be serviced.

Some warranties are not transferable so you'll want to review the written warranty carefully to make sure that the warranty is still in effect.

Providing this general response does not create an attorney client relationship.

2. Do you have anything in writing related to the 5 year warranty? It would be a good place to start by reviewing the original invoice or agreement between the previous owner and the shop. If you don't have anything in writing, it may prove difficult to try and seek any remedy.

As discussed above, warranties can be non-transferable. If this is the case, the warranty would only apply to the previous owner. Carefully review the terms of the warranty then consult an attorney if you need further assistance.