Warrants, how long does a warrant stay in effect

New York |
Filed under: Criminal defense

My uncle was arrested on a drug charge along with 3 other people, he paid the fine to be released from jail but never appear before the judge on the court date, left the country and has been gone for over 10 years, yet there is still a warrant.

A warrant does not expire with the passage of time. The only possibilities, are that he addresses the underlying charges and warrant by returning to the country; or, hopes that the case gets so old that the prosecution finally deides to seek a dismissal of the charges and warrant. There may be additional facts not listed in your question that could aid in determining the best choice of action, and if so, I suggest that you consult with an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice law in NY. Good luck.

This answer is provided solely for informational purposes, for you to use as a starting point when speaking directly with a lawyer licensed to practice law in your State. While our firm does have lawyers who practice law in your State, this answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising. I urge you to immediately contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice law in your State before you make any decisions about this case.

Mr. Bailey is correct that a warrant, particularly a felony warrant never goes away. More importantly, it may get picked up by Customs when your uncle tries to come back into the country.