Skip to main content

Want citizinship

Washington |
Filed under: Immigration

what is required to become an american citizen

Attorney Answers 1


If you are not born in the U.S., you must affirmatively file for naturalization. You can do this by filing form N-400 with USCIS. You must meet the eligibility requirements; five-years as a lawful permanent resident (three years if married to and living with a U.S. citizen spouse), be a person of good moral character, live within the district of filing for 90 days immediately preceding the filing, and have been physically present in the U.S. for at least 30 months immediately preceding the filing (or 18 months if married to a U.S. citizen).

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics