Want a divorce is my spouse entitled to my settlement form a car accident

Asked over 5 years ago - Agoura, CA

i was in a car accidnet 2 years ago, since then 7 months ago husbband and i split. my case will be setttled and i will get a settlement. is he entitaled to any of it?

i was in a car accident and may be awarded a settlement with the help of my lawyer. i was 6 months pregnant at the time of the acident and went thru several different types of rehab. i am feeling somewhat better today, but sufferend 5 buldging disks in my back that still causes me much pain. my husband and i have been separated for 7 months and i plan on divorcing him very soon. i may be awarded the settlement within a month or so. he did not help me at all during my rehab, or with the child i delieverd-healthy thank god, at all. is he entitled to any money i may get from my settlement?

1. Melissa Cari Marsh

Answered . If you live in California and you were married at the time of the car accident your spouse is probably entitled to a portion of your settlement. However, how long you were married, the manner in which the settlement is written, and many other facts will be determinative. Your personal injury attorney should be able to provide information on this issue, and if not, then you should retain a family law attorney to thoroughly review your particular circumstances and provide a specific opinion.

Disclaimer. Ms. Marsh is an attorney licensed to practice in California. The information posted above is for general information, does not constitute professional legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship. Ms. Marsh strongly advises the questioner to consult with an attorney to thoroughly review his or her particular circumstances and for advice tailored to his or her specific circumstances

One or more answers have been taken down.