Walmart lawyers sent restitution letter(300$)

Tracy, CA |

i was caught shop lifting at walmart . they called the cops i received the opportunity to take a class and have it not appear on my record. long story short i received a letter from Walmart lawyers stating i owe 300$ do they ever pursue charges to non paid requests?

A civil demand is not a debt and you would only have to pay it if they successfully sued you. The likelihood of that happening is extremely small.

Paying or not paying the civil demand will have no effect on any criminal actions which might be brought against you.

Learn from this mistake, and don't shoplift anymore.

Frank W. Chen is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, consult your own attorney.

oh trust me , the lesson has been learned! thank you for your advice!

If the merchandise was recovered intact, as in the sae condition as on the shelf, I think you can ignore the demand. They want to assert that the time of the security and restocking etc, is collectible. Peopple are there anyway, so no damages.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

I have been practicing criminal defense for 15 years and have represented hundreds of individuals charged with thefts. I have never seen one of them sued when the failed to pay the civil demand. This does not mean it will not happen but it rarely does.

My response to your question is a generic response and should not be construed as controlling to your case. I can not effectively advise about your case without knowing all the facts. Additionally, my response does not create an attorney-client relationship. You can contact my office to schedule an appointment if you would like to have me represent you.