Walmart lawyers sent restitution letter(300$)

Asked over 2 years ago - Tracy, CA

i was caught shop lifting at walmart . they called the cops i received the opportunity to take a class and have it not appear on my record. long story short i received a letter from Walmart lawyers stating i owe 300$ do they ever pursue charges to non paid requests?

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

8

Answered . A civil demand is not a debt and you would only have to pay it if they successfully sued you. The likelihood of that happening is extremely small.

Paying or not paying the civil demand will have no effect on any criminal actions which might be brought against you.

Learn from this mistake, and don't shoplift anymore.

2. Harry Edward Hudson Jr

4

Answered . If the merchandise was recovered intact, as in the sae condition as on the shelf, I think you can ignore the demand. They want to assert that the time of the security and restocking etc, is collectible. Peopple are there anyway, so no damages.

3. Robert C. LeBrasseur

3

Answered . I have been practicing criminal defense for 15 years and have represented hundreds of individuals charged with thefts. I have never seen one of them sued when the failed to pay the civil demand. This does not mean it will not happen but it rarely does.