Walking my dog leashed at the high end apartment building, a neighbor's dog unleashed attacked my dog and I was personal injured

Asked about 2 years ago - Fort Lauderdale, FL

On the walls and a flight of stairs. The Policy of the Building is " no unleashed dogs " , and this was a big dog that " jumped " my dog. And in consequence, since I am a small buid girl ( 5.5" - 120 lbs ) and was holding my dog's leash , was violently thrown out on the walls and a full flight of stairs inside the building. I have injuries to my legs, bruises, have difficulty walking , my hand is damaged and my back hurts.I filed a complaint with the Office Building Management and I filed a Police Report, but could not afford to go to the E.R. This was 4 days ago. Please help, I can't work and have my bills to pay.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Keith G Langer

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You were injured and need treatment for those injuries. It will also provide you with evidence for your claim against the owner of that dog. Note that s/he may have homeowners (renters, in your case) insurance which would be a possible source of compensation.

    Your state and local bar associations can assist you with referrals and may also have a "lawyer of the day" or "dial a lawyer" program that could guide you.

    The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  2. Jeffrey Ira Schwimmer

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . The laws vary from state to state, but most often it is not enough to show that you were attacked by an unleashed dog, but you are also required to prove that the animal has a history of violently propensities thereby requiring the owner to have secured the dog. You should definitely consult a personal injury attorney in your area; such consultation should be free.

  3. Laura Mcfarland-Taylor

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You need to go to the ER in order to document your injuries and you need to speak with an attorney - this is not a self-help situation. The Florida Bar can give you a referral: www.flabar.org/

    If we do not have a signed fee agreement I am not your attorney and this is not legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,376 answers this week

2,967 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,376 answers this week

2,967 attorneys answering