WAIVER OF SERVICE AND AGREED FINAL DECREE OF DIVORCE. HOW THESE TWO THINGS WORKS?

Houston, TX |

I GOT THESE FROM MY FAMILY LAWYER BUT UNFORTUNATELY THIS STEPS DID NOT EXPLAINED TO ME VERY WELL. IM NOT SURE I HAVE TO BE THE ONE TO WILL SERVED MY EX HUSBAND. AND I FOUND THEM REALLY IRRITATED AT ME ASKING QUESTIONS. ASIDE FROM ME THINKING OF CHANGING FAMILY LAWYER, WHAT WOULD BE MY NEXT STEP?

1. It sounds like you only paid for documents, not advice, from the lawyer I suggest you go ahead and spend what it takes to get advice and representation, from the same lawyer or a different one.

This answer DOES NOT establish an attorney-client relationship. This answer is based on the limited information provided and is not intended to be conclusive advice. There are likely other factors that might influence or change the advice after a more lengthy consultation.

2. If you have receved a waiver, did you also receive a copy of the original petition for divorce. Both documents must be given to your husband. He will need to sign the waiver in front of a notary. He will also need to sign the divorce decree. Make copies for both you and your husband, then return the signed originals to your lawyer.
    If you are not comfortable with that attorney or his staff, perhaps find another attorney.
    Good luck!

Any communication through the AVVO site with Sherrie Travers or any individual member of the firm, Travers & Travers, does NOT establish an attorney-client relationship. Any information given by Sherrie Travers or by any individual member of the firm through the AVVO site is general information and should not be relied on as legal advice. This answer is based upon limited information and is not intended to be conclusive in your circumstances as there may be other factors that might change or alter the advice given herein. Confidential or time-sensitive information should be conducted in person with an attorney.