Skip to main content

Waiver of restitution to an estate

Spokane, WA |

family member charged with 1st degree theft, not convicted yet, mother passed away,

daughter was the one charged by the state, daughter and her son are only two people named as beneficiaries to the will. the mother that passed away had a legal guardian but the grandson does not want his mom to pay any restitution. guardianship will be revoked? and a PR appointed what can the grandson do

Attorney Answers 2


Restitution is ordered when the alleged victim asks the court to order the convict to pay the victim. If the alleged victim does not ask for restitution, the court should not and has no reason to impose restitution.

The person handling the mother's estate can approach either the prosecutor or the defense attorney and let those attorneys know that the estate is not looking for restitution.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Restitution is not ordered unless there is a criminal conviction. No conviction, no restitution.

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics