Waiting period on a judges decision re: divorce in Massachusetts

Asked 9 months ago - Middleboro, MA

My husband and I went to trial on 8/22/13 for our divorce. It is now 12/1/13 and we still haven't received the decision from the judge on the contested issues of custody of our 17 yr old daughter, the house we own together and alimony. How much longer she we expect to wait to hear from the judge? We live in Massachusetts

1. Estela Matta

Pro

10

Answered . There is no fix rule about when the court has to return a decision. It is affected by the density of the court's calendar, the administrative calendar, the number of issues and the body of evidence the court has to review. The general expectation is that within 6 months the court will have prepared it decision.

2. E. Alexandra Golden

8

Answered . We simply do not have enough judges sitting in the Probate and Family Court to handle all the cases. Unfortunately, that means that delays like this are inevitable.

3. Michael J. Szklasz

Pro

4

Answered . While I agree with the other attorneys, I must add that you can go to the clerks' office of that court and request to see the docket file. It may already be in there (they make mistakes- they are human)..

4. Ernest H Hyde

1

Answered . This can depend on the County to case was in and the judge who heard it. There is no time obligation for the judge to respond and we have cases that took nearly a year, even after contacting the clerk and register's office.

5. Henry Lebensbaum

Answered . Have your lawyer contact the clerk's office

Sent from Molto for iPad

6. Michael Fray Suarez

Answered . There is no set time limit for Court decisions but you can certainly try contacting the clerk to obtain an update. While you may not obtain an answer right away you will eventually get the Court's attention.

7. Allan L. Baron

Answered . As a reasonable time has passed, I would suggest that your attorney contact the judge's clerk to determine if the judge's decision had been filed. If temporary orders have been entered and no longer are making sense, your attorney may file a motion to modify the orders that are not working for you.

8. Helena S Friedman

Pro

Answered . Since several months have passed, I would check with the clerks office to make sure the case did not get lost or misfiled. If it is till with the judge, as you read in other attorney's answers, there is no set time and which to issue findings. If there are problems resulting from the lack of a decision, have your attorney address these issues with the court.

Good luck and best wishes.