Waiting for Asylum Office Decision

Woodbridge, NJ |

I still haven't heard back from the Asylum office. I had political asylum interview on the first week of February. The next week I received a notice of intent to deny (NOID) because I have valid legal status in the United States. I had 16 days to explain in writing either why the claim should be granted or I needed to submit new evidence to support the claim. I submitted my new evidence within 16 days but it has been almost 2 month since new evidence was submitted and I haven't heard anything back from the asyulm office. I don't know what to do.

1. It is almost impossible to advise you on what to do without reviewing your case and your submissions. If you do not have an attorney you should at least consult with one. Why did they say you have legal status? If they deny your asylum application they may issue a notice to appear with deportation consequences.

973-984-0800. Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

2. Your attorney, if you had one can tell you better. If you did not have one, have one review your submissions ( hopefully you kept a copy) This is not an unusual wait for a decision.

Under the guidelines set by AVVO, this response is general information only and not specific legal advice, and no attorney client relationship is formed by this response to your question.

3. Talk to your attorney ... or hire one to review your papers.

It can take time.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.