Skip to main content

Waiting for a response for approval of I-601 waiver.

New York, NY |

On February 2013, I filed an I-601 Waiver for my father's U.S. residency. It has been 5 months and my family has not received any information whether his I-601 waiver has been approved (or rejected). I was told the process takes 4-6 months, should I wait another month? What are the next steps I need to take?

Attorney Answers 3


Several options: call USCiS service center to make an inquiry or make an InfoPass appointment. But it does not seem to me that your case is outside the normal processing time.

Nothing in this post shall be construed as a legal advice. If you need advice regarding your particular situation, please contact my office directly. This information is transferred without an intent to creat an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


If you are pursuing an I-601A provisional waiver, then give it more time. If you are pursuing an I-601 waiver then the answer depends on the country in which your father resides. Based on what you wrote, hardship to you does not directly qualify for a hardship waiver for your father. There must be hardship to the foreigner's spouse or parent. You are the son. Generally, it should help to consult privately with a licensed U.S. immigration attorney on any case involving hardship waivers.

Call: 888.483.0311. Information provided is general in nature and is not legal advice to be relied upon for any particular matter.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Your case appears to be in the normal processing times. You an make an infopass appointment after 6 months. It is best to consult an attorney.

Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics