Waiting for a response for approval of I-601 waiver.

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

On February 2013, I filed an I-601 Waiver for my father's U.S. residency. It has been 5 months and my family has not received any information whether his I-601 waiver has been approved (or rejected). I was told the process takes 4-6 months, should I wait another month? What are the next steps I need to take?

1. Natalia Polukhtin

3

Best Answer

Answered . Several options: call USCiS service center to make an inquiry or make an InfoPass appointment. But it does not seem to me that your case is outside the normal processing time.

2. Alexus Paul Sham

Pro

1

Answered . Your case appears to be in the normal processing times. You an make an infopass appointment after 6 months. It is best to consult an attorney.

3. Allan Scott Lolly

Pro

2

Answered . If you are pursuing an I-601A provisional waiver, then give it more time. If you are pursuing an I-601 waiver then the answer depends on the country in which your father resides. Based on what you wrote, hardship to you does not directly qualify for a hardship waiver for your father. There must be hardship to the foreigner's spouse or parent. You are the son. Generally, it should help to consult privately with a licensed U.S. immigration attorney on any case involving hardship waivers.