Skip to main content

Wage/hour question regarding NJ law on unpaid wages.

Monmouth Junction, NJ |

My former employer (in NJ) owes me back wages. They issued me a partial payment, but it looks like I might have to file a claim to get the rest. When I deposit their check, should I write on the face of the check that it's only a partial payment, so that they can't claim that by cashing the check I accepted the amount as full payment?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Statements made on a check have no legal binding force. If you are owed money for unpaid wages file a complaint with the wage and hour division of the department of labor.

You might find my legal guide on selecting and hiring a lawyer helpful.
You might find my legal guide on Is it Legal? Is it Illegal? helpful.
You might find my legal guide on the understanding the different court systems helpful.
You might find my legal guide on legal terms used in litigation helpful.
(Even if you are not filing a lawsuit this information can be useful).

You might find my legal guide on Employer/Employee disputes helpful.

Mr. Sarno is licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Sarno strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information.

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer