WA state personal injury tort law, hit and run accident, dispute with insurance company over deductible

Asked about 6 years ago - Poulsbo, WA

someone backed into me in a parking lot. Hit and run.. The deductible was 500.00. my FINAL BILL from the auto body repair said I owe nothing and that Sue at Safeco had waived the deductible. Customer pays $00.00 Now they say there was an error and I Do owe the 500 ded... Anyway to get out of this under the circumstances?

1. Steven L Shaw

1

Answered . Your loss may be covered under the Uninsured Motorist portion of your policy. That's the coverage that pays when you've been hit by someone without insurance, or are the victim of a hit and run. Your policy may outline what is required for the loss to be considered "hit and run" and they may be suspicious of a claim like yours if it wasn't witnessed, reported to the police, or immediately reported to them.

If you don't have Uninsured Motorist coverage, then you really don't have any other options without knowing who hit you. It's worth adding Uninsured Motorist to your insurance for next time.