WA state landlord tenant act, tenant's right to break lease after receiving orders from military to move to another state

Tacoma, WA |

i am in the military. i have just received orders to move to another state. there is a military clause in my lease. the apt is going with state laws which requires me to give them a copy of my orders within 7 days of reciept. but the orders have a date of when they were made, NOT when i received them. anyway federal just requires i give them my orders and no set time period. does the federal law over rule state law.

How did you receive your orders? For example, did someone hand the orders to you? If yes, can that person write a statement specifying when you received the orders?

Have you talked with someone in the military (such as your officer or the military's attorney office)?

Also, are you on a month-to-month rental or for a longer term rental? The 7 day notice is in RCW 59.18.220 (Termination of tenancy for a specified time – Armed forces exception). If you are month-to-month, RCW 59.18.200 applies. The statutes are here: .

All you can do is give the apartment the orders within seven days of when you received them. Write a cover letter and explain that. Your landlord will have to allow you to leave and is prohibited from taking a judgment against you under these circumstances. Wishing you all the best - Elizabeth Powell

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant