WA state debtor creditor law, debtor's right to dispute debt, creditor failing to respond

Asked almost 6 years ago - Seattle, WA

I have received a disputed a claimed debt amount that had gone to collections. While I'm sure I owe something, I do not believe I owe the total that was presented. I wrote a certified letter that clearly disputed the debt and requested a detailed accounting. I have heard nothing back.

My understanding is that the creditor is required to respond within a certain timeframe. What is the time frame, and what is the status of the debt if they fail to respond within the required timeframe?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Samuel John Glover

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Under the FDCPA, assuming this is a consumer debt, they cannot continue collecting until they respond with some evidence showing you owe the debt.

    There is no time limit, and if they do not respond, it does not change whether you actually owe the debt.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,358 answers this week

2,874 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,358 answers this week

2,874 attorneys answering