WA state debtor creditor law, debtor's right to dispute debt, creditor failing to respond

Seattle, WA |

I have received a disputed a claimed debt amount that had gone to collections. While I'm sure I owe something, I do not believe I owe the total that was presented. I wrote a certified letter that clearly disputed the debt and requested a detailed accounting. I have heard nothing back.

My understanding is that the creditor is required to respond within a certain timeframe. What is the time frame, and what is the status of the debt if they fail to respond within the required timeframe?

Under the FDCPA, assuming this is a consumer debt, they cannot continue collecting until they respond with some evidence showing you owe the debt.

There is no time limit, and if they do not respond, it does not change whether you actually owe the debt.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt