WA state civil procedure rules, served with papers, do i need to go to court, how do i respond to court papers

Washington |

WAS SERVED PAPERS TODAY FOR A COLLITION DO I NEED TO GO TO COURT?

My husband was served and we don’t know what form to use to respond. Also there is no way for us to afford an attorney so we must do this ourselves. This is a “complaint for monies due” by Discover card. At this point we are indebt approx. sixty five thousand dollars, not including taxes and our home, which we now owe about what we could sell it for with no real estate commission.

1. If the papers are because you have been criminally charged, if you do not show up in court, the court may issue a warrant for your arrest.

If the papers are because you are being civilly sued by the other party for damages, if you do not respond, the other party may obtain a default judgment against you.

If the papers are for a civil lawsuit and you had insurance coverage at the time of the accident, you likely should contact your insurance company and give it the documents. There is only a short time to respond, you should not delay in forwarding the documents.

In any case, you likely should review your facts and options with an attorney.