Skip to main content

VOP Bench Warrant in MD from 2009, Live in LA now. Cannot afford Restitution - Best way to fix?

Baltimore, MD |

I will leave out the emotion and just deal with facts. In 2007 I failed to perform contract, case went to court in 2009

I was a contractor, failed to perform a contract (I was 22).
I received PBJ Supervised for 5 years & to pay $5,000 restitution.
Could not afford it, still can't.
I have a VOP 100% cash bail for 5k bench warrant in MD

How can I fix this without going to jail? I cannot afford any money for the restitution right now, I cannot afford an attorney. I'm JUST starting a career in LA to where I may be able to make some payments soon but I can't afford the 5k restitution or a lawyer. I called the PO and he said I would sit in jail if I couldn't pay the bail. What do I do? Should I wait until I get 5k + lawyer fees?

I appreciate your help a lot, it is helping me calm down. The contract dispute started in 2006, went to court and received PBJ in 2008. VOP went in 2009. The bond is for cash only (at least that is what it says on the internet). I am supposed to get off probation in 2013. I want to just be done with it but how do I do that without the money? I guess I should call a lawyer; it's just expensive when I am on unemployment because I was laid off in March. There was also no jail time added onto my case. I was given 5 years probation because the judge felt that would be enough time to pay it back. I didn't really mess up anything too badly, it was a home improvement contract that didn't work; it was filed criminal because they thought I did not have an MHIC license but I did and those charges were found not guilty.

Attorney Answers 1

  1. Take a deep breath and then relax, amigo. As my grand-father used to say, all legal problems have a solution. Yours does. The way to resolve this issue is to file a Motion to Quash the warrant, after talking to parole and probation. The downside of this equation is that you will need counsel - prefferably paid counsel.

    If you don't make enough money, the Office of the Public Defender in the County where your probation was last kept can help.

    Aside from the above, the court cannot hold you in detention for your failure to make restitution. That's not legal, or ethical or proper for any judge to do - in my opinion. The court has to make a finding of your ability to pay, before imposing a penalty for failing to pay restitution. Hence, relax. You won't sit in jail if you cannot pay. But you have to get a lawyer to get to that point. Plus, you have bail options with a bondman/woman. 10% of the bond is $500 to get out the same day you turn yourself in.

    By the way, how old is this case? There may be a way to terminate the VOP...

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics