Skip to main content

Voluntarily terminating parental rights in Louisiana

Shreveport, LA |

Mother/Father in disagreement, child suffering. Mother has sole custody with visitation for the Father. Mother is no2 refusing visitation.

Attorney Answers 1


Only the court can terminate parental rights. This is usually done when there is abuse and child services does not think the parent can renew the relationship with the child, or when a step parent adopts the child. If the mother is failing to abide by the visitation order of the court then she is in contempt of court and the father can file a rule for contempt and to either change custody or increase visitation. He can also ask the court to require the mother post a bond to insure that visitation happens. (R.S. 9:342)

Mark as helpful

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics