Visitor visa Indian senior citizen, Family based green Card in progress, Can I get visitor visa?

Asked 10 months ago - Cleveland, OH

My parents, 60+, have unsuccessfully tried for US visitor visa for 4 times (India, Mumbai Consulate). People say because my parents have family based green card in progress (filed in 2003) they can NOT get US visitor visa - Is this valid claim? Thanks in advance for your help.

1. Stephen D. Berman

2

Answered . A pending immigrant visa is at the very least a factor they may consider at the embassy in deciding whether people are likely to keep to the terms of their nonimmigrant visa.

2. Lynne Rogers Feldman

2

Answered . Filing an immigrant petition is a strong indication of immigrant intent. A person applying for a visitor visa has the burden to show non-immigrant intent so there is a built in conflict without VERY STRONG ties to show they will return at the end of their visit.

3. Andrew D. Slepian

Pro

2

Answered . It has to do with whether you can prove that you are going to return to India. Having a visa number available in the near future is going to go against that argument. Hire an attorney to be thoroughly prepared.

4. Juan Paolo Pasia Sarmiento

Answered . Not an automatic basis for a denial but a big factor that weights into the consular officer’s discretion.

[removed]

5. Hasan Abdullah

1

Answered . You never know, there might be some things to do to strengthen the application, but yes the GC petition is a negative factor. [removed]