Skip to main content

Visitor visa for mother , currently in Saudi Arabia.

Denver, CO |
Filed under: Visa application

My mother is trying to apply for a visitor visa to come to US, but she always gets denied, my sister came here 9 years ago and now she is a citizen. i came here 3 years ago on a student visa and i am expecting a baby in October. i really want her to come and spend some time with me around my delivery but previously whenever my family had applied for a visa they always have gotten denied. the embassy never gives us a good reason.

we are pakistani nationals, residing in Saudi Arabia for last 30 years. i would like to know how to i can help my mom in getting a visitor visa. do i need to reach out to the senator with my sister or do we need to write a letter to the embassy with a doctors note? or if there is any other option?

we do not have the funds to attain an attorney.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. There is nothing you can do. Mother will continue to be denied a visitor's visa due to her having her kids settled in the U.S. and herself unable to prove substantial ties to either SA or Pakistan and inability to convince the consul to depart the US at the conclusion of a temporary trip. Your sister can immediately apply for her green card, but that could take a year to a year and a half to conclude.

    Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  2. She continues to be denied because immigration officers assume she has an intent to immigrate which contradicts the purposes of a visitor visa. Since your sister is a citizen (and assuming she is your mom's daughter), you should look into with an immigration attorney how to file a relative petition on mom's behalf by the sister instead. And as you can see, the money an attorney would charge would be well invested since you have apparently already lost much time and energy running into walls without one.

    Gunda J. Brost Brost Law Office This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.

  3. The consulate is likely denying the case due to perceived immigrant intent--that is they suspect your mom wants to resettle in the US not just visit. Having your sister petitioning for her as a permanent resident may be a more viable option despite the processing times.

    Please note that this response is for informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

  4. If your mother can convince the consular official that she has strong attachments to SA and will be returning to SA after her visit to the USA, then she has a chance. I have helped draft letters and assemble documents for cases where a parent had been denied a visitor's visa previously. The possibility of success depends on your mother's individual circumstances. Please give my office a call if you would like to discuss this further.

    Colorado 303.442.8554/New Mexico 505.819.3303/ Ms DeSeguin’s statement is general in nature, is not intended as legal advice, and should not be relied on as Ms DeSeguin does not have knowledge of all the relevant and necessary facts. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics