Visitation schedule

Georgetown, TX |

Hello,i currently do not have any visitation orders in place. i live 98 miles away from my children but i still get them every other weekend of the month. what are the rules or guidelines on visitation. i have heard that if you live 100 miles or more away you get them one weekend a month. do all fathers have to go by the standard visitaion schedule of getting your chldren every 1st 3rf and 5th weekend or is there any way i could choose get them one weekend a month since we live a good distance apart. my ex expects me to go off the standard visitaion. what are my chances of getting to choose the visitation schedule. would me living 98 miles away fall under the 100 miles or more since its so close to 100 miles or would i have to to take the standard order?

You don't have to exercise all your visitation, so if you're looking to reduce the amount you have it is unnecessary.

im not quite sure what you mean by i dont have to excersise all my visitation. I do not have any court orders regarding visitaion i just see my children every other weekend. there are times when i cant get them the weekend they expect me to get them but i still do to avoid confrentation with my ex. what im asking is if for some reason my ex gets mad that i cant get them every other weekend due to living a good distance from them, can she put visitaion orders in place through court for the standard 1st 3rd and 5th or will the court want us both to come to an agreement on visitation.

David Christopher Hardaway

David Christopher Hardaway

I'm sorry, I missed that part about not having any orders. The courts can be flexible and set up vistation a number of ways. You should certainly try and create a schedule that fits within both of your existing schedules. If you can't make it one weekend or another, then you don't lose your rights. You're also going to eventually be required to pay child support (and perhaps back child support) if you haven't already been doing so. You're gonna want to get an agreement in writing sooner rather than later.

Ok thank you, i understand now. I already pay child support just started recently. but when my ex asked about setting up visitaion the lady working on our child support case asked if i already do any kind of visitaion i told her yes so she told my ex to just stick with the way we do it since i am seeing them. im just scared that if for some reason a few weeks go by that im not able to get them that she will "keep" them from me, then go to the courts to put a order in place without me agreeing with the order.

Child custody topics