Visitation and vacation schedules per MSA - can I always file with the court to have them altered at any time?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

If we included visitation and vacation schedules (with our child) within our MSA (schedule we developed on our own and out of the court), I"m assuming they can always be altered/changed if necessary by court order after-the-fact? i.e. I don't like the schedule I have via the MSA I can file a court order to review or mediate for a change?

1. Shannon Richards

Answered . Yes, but you will be required to show some reasoning behind it....simply I don't like the deal I made at that time will not be enough. You'll have to show that your kids have grown a bit, and can tolerate longer visits; your work schedule changed necessitating a different result or something of that nature. As long as you are being responsible about your requests that's good and a court will listen to you (although they may not agree with you). You should be careful of making multiple requests over a short period of time. The best results happen when you want to make a change, you contact the other parent and try to work out some new schedule, and then present that to the court to be made a new order. File a Request for Order to modify the visitation only after you've tried to work it out with the other parent.

2. Brian A Victor

Answered . You need to show the court the reasons behind what you are asking for, and they will most likely send you to Family Court Services for mediation if you cannot reach agreement on the changes. The court can make the changes if they find them to be in the best interests of your child. You can always discuss the issues with your ex before proceeding to court.