Visitation and transportation responsibility of shared parenting plan.

Austintown, OH |

I have a shared parenting plan setup with my ex. We are both designated residential parents while in our custody. Do I need to pickup the children from his home during his weekend visitation? He picked the children up from my house tonight, and sent me a text message telling me I could pick them up from his home on the designated day they are to be home at 10PM. I am the primary residence of the children for school purposes.

The parties will alternate weekends, with the time for pickup by the non-residential parent being friday 6pm, and the non-residential parent will return the children to the custodial home on sunday 6pm. Directly from the first line of the parenting plan. Because the children are in his custody during the weekend, does that make me responsible for picking them up from his home?

1. What does your plan say? Usually the parent beginning their time gets the kids from the other parent. This prevents the kids from having to wait on the other parent. This is not always the case so read you plan closely.

This answer is provided for general purposes only. If you need legal assistance you should consult with an attorney. Responding to questions DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship.

2. Admittedly, the clause you referenced "on-residential parent will return the children to the custodial home on sunday 6pm" implies that your ex would be responsible for the transportation to drop off the children on Sunday evening; however, as the previous answer indicated, I'd fully review your court order, including the Shared Parenting Plan. One of the purposes of said plan is to account for questions like these, and they often include a section entitled "transportation". As the previous answer also indicated, it is more common for the picking up parent to provide transportation, to ensure that the children aren't simply waiting to be picked up, however, that's only the norm. I'd fully review your document, and possibly talk to your ex to set up an arrangement as to who should transport at what times.

This answer is provided for general purposes only. If you need legal assistance you should consult with an attorney. Responding to questions DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Nor does this answer contain legal advice. This answer is simply designed to answer a question and any information gained therein should be taken as information and not advce.