Visa termination

Ypsilanti, MI |

I am an international student on scholarship and due to financial situation I am unable to register for my classes for Winter semester. The international office at my university told me that if i haven't registered for my classes before Jan 17 my I-20 would terminated. I would like to know what is going to happen after my visa is terminated and How I can get reinstated back into the school

I am currently on F1

1. Your status is terminated not your visa. Well, the DSO at the school would make a report to SEVIS that you are out of status and this is bad since ICE (the police of US immigration monitors SEVIS) and they can come to your house and detain you. You can ask for reinstatement only once if out of status less then 5 months and you get your I-20 endorsed by USCIS. If you are on scholarship than whats the problem? You can also apply for economic hardship work permit.

2. I agree with Attorney Calehr

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 s.ouya@mainalaw.com Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

3. I agree with Mr. Calehr.

This could be a big problem.

Options:
    1. Go home, work and save enough money to come back
    2. "Work" with the DSO and see about an economic hardship work permit.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.