Visa termination

Asked about 2 years ago - Ypsilanti, MI

I am an international student on scholarship and due to financial situation I am unable to register for my classes for Winter semester. The international office at my university told me that if i haven't registered for my classes before Jan 17 my I-20 would terminated. I would like to know what is going to happen after my visa is terminated and How I can get reinstated back into the school

Additional information

I am currently on F1

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Haroen Calehr


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Your status is terminated not your visa. Well, the DSO at the school would make a report to SEVIS that you are out of status and this is bad since ICE (the police of US immigration monitors SEVIS) and they can come to your house and detain you. You can ask for reinstatement only once if out of status less then 5 months and you get your I-20 endorsed by USCIS. If you are on scholarship than whats the problem? You can also apply for economic hardship work permit.

  2. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Attorney Calehr

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street,... more
  3. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I agree with Mr. Calehr.

    This could be a big problem.

    1. Go home, work and save enough money to come back
    2. "Work" with the DSO and see about an economic hardship work permit.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Immigrants and education

In the US, it is the law for all children, regardless of immigrant status, to attend elementary, middle, and high school.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,356 answers this week

3,339 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,356 answers this week

3,339 attorneys answering