Visa situation critical

Asked over 1 year ago - Macon, GA

I was granted a refugee status in the UK in 2010. I came to the US as a student with a refugee travel document. My travel document will expire soon now and I can not renew my I-20. The British embassy say that I lost my refugee status because I stayed more than a year outside the UK although my travel document is still valid, they refused to renew my travel document and they will not let me get into the UK again.
My original country embassy refuse to help me because I defected to the UK.

I have a green card application via marriage that is pending and might take another 2 years.

What can I do now ? Where shall I go ? What are my options ?

Additional information

My spouse is a GC holder, needs 4 more years to become a US citizen

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Anu Gupta


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Hello- you should talk with a lawyer in person so the lawyer can review your case and make recommendations. You have a complicated case with serious consequences if not handled properly.

    Business Immigration Attorney. For H, L, J, EB5s, PERM and EB1/2/3 Petitions. Call 800-688-7892 or visit www.... more
  2. Michael Hugh Carlin

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need to consult with an immigration attorney. If your spouse is a U.S. Citizen, then your green card application should likely take much less than 2 years. Perhaps your spouse is a Permanent Resident. At any rate, you should meet with an attorney.

    (734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of... more
  3. David Nabow Soloway

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . A person who has filed a marriage-based adjustment of status case is considered to have the new status of "Applicant for Permanent Residence," and can receive an Employment Authorization Document to permit employment while the case remains pending. Generally, marriage-based adjustment of status applications are adjudicated by the USCIS Atlanta Field Office in approximately 3.5 - 5 months from date of filing.

    [Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

    David N. Soloway
    Frazier, Soloway & Kennedy, P.C.
    1800 Century Place, Suite 100
    Atlanta, Georgia 30345
    404-320-7000 * 1-877-232-5352 *

    [Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal... more
  4. Kyndra L. Mulder

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . As long as you entered the USA with inspection - legally - you are free to marry a USC and adjust status through your USC spouse - even if you have overstayed your USA I-94 or visa. The process should not take 2 years. it currently is taking about 4 or 5 months. You may want to consider consulting with an experienced immigration attorney to assist you.
    AVVO attorneys are USA attorneys. You need to find a UK attorney to assist you in your UK issues or a USA attorney who knows UK immigration law. It sounds like you may be in a situation where you are a man without a country. The UK says your immigration status there is expired and your home country rejects you. This may give you better standing in the USA to qualify for other types of relief.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,620 answers this week

3,568 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,620 answers this week

3,568 attorneys answering