Visa R B1/B2

Orlando, FL |
Filed under: Immigration US visas

Hello, I was given a R B1/B2 visa with an expiration date of November 12, 2009 (3 months stay). When I entered into the US, on my I-94, I was given an expiration date (return date) of February 20, 2010 (6 months stay). My question is which date should I respect? If I stay past the initial visa date (11/12/09) can the embassy refuse my request to reapply for another visa to return? If I reapplied for another visa, could they refuse me because I did not return on that date? I would not be staying past the date given to me when I entered into the US but I would be staying past the date I received from the embassy in my home country. Thanks

The date on your visa that you received from your home country is the date by which you must enter the US. (Nov 12, 2009) The date on your I-94 is the date when you should leave the US. Therefore, you must leave the US by Feb 20, 2010.