Skip to main content

Visa on passport for an asylee with a RTD

Athens, GA |

I am an asylee in the US. I have a refugee travel document. I want to travel abroad for a conference. I am not going to the country of prosecution.
The embassy of the country that I am going to does stamp visas on a travel document, they only stamp it on a passport.

Is it OK to use my passport ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


What else would you use? I am unclear as to the question.

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.



The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions. Visit us at Contact us at 713.335.5505 or email at Veronica Tunitsky offers in-person, as well as telephone and email consultations.


You can use passport in conjunction with your refugee travel document.


No. That is not advisable. You have to convince the consulate in question to issue you the visa on the RTD. Explain to them you cannot use the passport of the country from which you claimed persecution and applied for asylum in the US.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Giacomo Jacques Behar


Apparently the other attorneys who answered differently did not have bad experiences with their clients in the past due to the same reason.


I would explain to them again that you are an asylee. You shoudl speak to the Cosul who is in charge of poliical affairs - he might be able to understand why you need to use a travel document instead of a passport. And bring the approval if your status as an asylee.

Madrid Crost Law Group - (888) 466-4478; e-mail:; skype: usvisalaw 10 S. La Salle Street, Suite 3320, Chicago, IL 60603 Please consult with a licensed immigration professional to provide you with a thorough legal advice. This response is not a substitute for specific legal advice and it should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship. Please help stop notario fraud. Please visit and share this site:

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer