Visa is expiring earlier than I-94 validity date

Asked over 1 year ago - Manchester, MI

I am on L1-B Visa which is valid till 6 Dec 2013. Recently I came back from a vacation from India and the immigration office gave me I-94 with dates 22 Apr 2016.
Does this mean that I can stay in US till 22Apr2016?
Do I need to file an L1-B extension?
My company has a rule that they won't file for a visa extension until 6 months prior to I-94 expiration. Is this rule correct?
What will be the case if L1-B extension (if filed) is denied and till which date i can stay in US.
If i stay in US after my L1 expiry but I-94 validity, Will this make me as out of status and cause issues in visa extensions and green cards?

Can i work after L1-B expiry and when I-94 is till valid and will this also allow my wife who is on L2 to live and work in US (she also has same dates)?
Also i have been in US since Jan 2011, so technically i can be in US for a total 5 years only so I cannot use the complete time on I-94. Is this understanding correct.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

12

Answered . Forget about the visa. It is the expiration date on the I-94 that matter.

Please click the link below for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

Answered . I-94 governs.

3. Marc Anthony Topoleski

Pro

2

1

Answered . If your L-1B visa is a Blanket L-1B visa, then it is appropriate that the officer granted you a three year period of stay on your I-94 card. Your I-94 card governs your immigration status, so you are eligible to remain in the U.S. lawfully for the validity period noted on the I-94 card, assuming it is correct. Keep in mind, however, that immigration officers frequently mark the incorrect expiration dates on I-94 cards, especially in the case of Blanket L visas, so it may be advisable to contact an experienced immigration attorney to make sure your I-94 card was issued correctly.

4. Norma Lorenzo

1

Answered . Hi hope that you are well. You are in status for the time stated on your I-94. However, if you travel abroad you will need to get a new visa stamped before returning if such trip is made after your current visa expires. Best of luck!

5. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . Status is controlled by the I-94, not the visa stamp.