Visa expires on 09/30/2013

Tallahassee, FL |

My visa will expire on September this year. If the new immigration reform is approved, am I included if I got out of status? I came here in 2006 by H1B visa

See links below:

The bills introduced in Congress are not law yet. Anyone who promises you immigration reform benefits or advises you on whether you qualify is likely to have two goals in mind: 1) get your money and 2) get you deported so they can keep your money. DO NOT fall for promises by notarios or unscrupulous attorneys.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

There is no new law for immigrants. There is not one on the horizon either. There is a talk on Capital Hill and by the Administration about some kind of an attempt to pursue a comprehensive immigration reform this year. Follow the link below for more information on the reform proposal. There is though a change in the regulations called Provisional waiver which allows immediate relatives of US citizens to seek an inadmissibility waiver for an overstay or EWI provided a number of specifically listed requirements are also met. Follow the links below for more information on these new benefits and to learn what we no so far about the Comprehensive Reform proposal.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Absolutely DO NOT count on immigration reform being in place by September 30, 2013. since you are curently in status you should do everything possible to remain that way. Has your employer begun your green card process?

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
Concentrating in Immigration and Nationality Law
2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
San Diego, CA 92108
phone: (619) 299-9600, facsimile: (619) 923-3277

Formerly Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
University of Illinois College of Law

Education law topics

Recommended articles about Education law