Virginia workers comp case open May 2011, collected until November 2011 for a major injury acquired at work and stopped.

Front Royal, VA |

I had a Virginia workers comp case open May 2011 and collected until November 2011 for a major injury acquired at work. I was paid between May-November 2011, but then it stopped all together due to 2 insurance companies fighting over who is going to continue paying it. It has been at the Virginia Workers Comp Commission for sometime with a review to come up in September. I am in pain most of the time and cannot even get medical service any longer due to their battle. I have also been without income since last November since I cannot work.

1. A fight over coverage should not result in your not being covered. There is another step that you can and should take but you will need a knowledgeable Virginia workers' compensation attorney to take the steps immediately. It sounds like you do not have an attorney at present so you had best consider retaining an attorney who knows how to help you.

2. I have practiced Virginia WC Law for 35 years handling claims, accidents, and appeals. The situation you are in is one of the most deplorable problems with the WC Law. You had a major injury but two insurance companies are disputing which one is responsible. I am afraid there will be no payment until there is a final decision on which insurance company is responsible. There is a method for obtaining an expedited hearing but you are already beyond that stage. You are at the appeal/review stage of the process. Perhaps, you or your attorney can contact James J. Szablewicz, Chief Deputy Commissioner at the Commission and request an expedited review based on your circumstances. The number at the Commission is: 1-877-664-2566. Unfortunately, there are three Commissioners who handle the reviews. There is a new Commissioner effective July 1, 2012. Many reveiws have been held up pending his appointment.

This response is meant to be information only and should not be considered to be legal advice. This information is not meant and should not be construed to be the formation of an attorney client relationship. I practice Virginia Workers compensation law and Social Security Disability law.

3. A good WC attorney can help you navigate this difficult situation.

Attorneys are very competitive. Choose the Best Answer so we know who helped you the most.