Virginia wildcard/homestead exemption

Centreville, VA |

I filed for chapter 7 emergency bankruptcy and didn't realize that in order for me to use the wildcard exemption that could cover my $3000 in the bank, I'd have to file a homestead declaration before filing bankruptcy. Is it too late to protect my savings in the bank? is there any way to get around it?

1. You can file until 5 days after the 341 meeting of creditors. Go over it with your layer before filing it. DO NOT try to do a bankruptcy without a lawyer.

2. You have until 5 days after your "meeting of creditors" hearing. Weekends count so its less than a week. It doesn't have to be before the bankruptcy case was filed.

3. Get a lawyer as soon as possible. There are many aspects of bankruptcy that mandate time sensitive responses, most of which end up being overlooked without an attorney.