Virginia statutory rape laws, criminal law

Asked about 6 years ago - Virginia Beach, VA

I am a 20 year old male who resides in virginia. My girlfiend is a 17 year old female who lives in california. Last year she came to visit i was 18 and she was 16. We did not have sex but her dad wants to charge me with statutory rape. Her dad also lives in california and did not come to virginia with her. Can he charge me with statutory rape even though he lives in california and the alleged crime happened in virginia? If so, does he need proof?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. John M. Kaman


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Her dad can't charge you with anything; he can accuse but only the DA can file charges. If Dad does report you to the authorities there would have to be proof of underage sexual intercourse. His word is not good enough for it. After all he wasn't there.

    Be aware though that you are on dangerous ground. Such a charge if proved has very serious consequences in most, if not all, states.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,142 answers this week

2,957 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,142 answers this week

2,957 attorneys answering