Virginia - how much time will he serve if received 12 months with 6 suspended

Quantico, VA |

Misdemeaner charge, sentenced to 12 months with 6 suspended. How much time will actually be served? will he get good time credit on top of the 6 months suspended?

Contact a VA attorney

While there is no way to enforce this - almost everyone receives 50% credit on their sentence for misdemeanors. So, normally, I tell the client they will do 3 months on a 6 month sentence. Of course, this is the "good time" credit - and some people are not good in jail. Also, as I said, there is no requirement to give that much credit - it is the discretion of the jail. Another way to earn good time in many jails is to take classes, volunteer to work, or become a trustee. Once he is in the jail - he will get the briefing on what to do to get out more quickly.

This advice is generic and not designed to substitute for consulting an attorney. Nothing in this response is designed to establish an attorney-client relationship with the requester.