Virginia - how much time will he serve if received 12 months with 6 suspended

Asked over 2 years ago - Quantico, VA

Misdemeaner charge, sentenced to 12 months with 6 suspended. How much time will actually be served? will he get good time credit on top of the 6 months suspended?

1. Crystina Marie O'Brien

Pro

1

Answered . While there is no way to enforce this - almost everyone receives 50% credit on their sentence for misdemeanors. So, normally, I tell the client they will do 3 months on a 6 month sentence. Of course, this is the "good time" credit - and some people are not good in jail. Also, as I said, there is no requirement to give that much credit - it is the discretion of the jail. Another way to earn good time in many jails is to take classes, volunteer to work, or become a trustee. Once he is in the jail - he will get the briefing on what to do to get out more quickly.

2. Michael J Palumbo

Pro

Answered . Contact a VA attorney