Skip to main content

Violet threats

New York, NY |

About a few weeks ago i moved into a new apartment. However, the couple who used to live there left a microwave, dresser, shower rod and used sofa for me under the terms that i would deposit some money into their bank account (nothing was in writing). With that said, i made the deposit and thought everything was fine, until this couple starts to send me threatening voice mails and text messages saying that i did not deposit anything and that they would send someone to my apartment to "Talk to me" and really scary stuff (i have every threat saved)

my question is .. how can i protect myself? and what do i do? since i have proof that i made the deposit...and i am scary for my safety (even though they moved out of the state of NYC)

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Have you given them the proof you made the deposit?

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been handling criminal defense and personal injury cases for over 17 years. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails, is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.



I took a picture of both deposit slip and the receipt from the teller after i made the deposit and this couple is relentless. They say it does not prove anything to them ...

Gary Ralph Ilmanen

Gary Ralph Ilmanen


They sound like scummy scammers. Don't give them any more money, and report the threats to the police. Keep your door locked.


Email or text them a copy of the deposit slip as proof. Since they moved out of state, and this can't really be much money (a couple hundred dollars at best?), do you think they'll really return over it? Good luck!

I'm just 3 "helpful" answers away from a free toaster-oven! I may be guessing or not licensed in your state. No atty/client relationship exists.



I did text them a copy of it but they insist that they revived no money ($450.00) and that the picture proved nothing to them. Instead i got a threatening voicemail...


Dear asker,

You've raised a few issues.

1. You've PAID the money, and have proof, so be sure to put the proof somewhere that you can easily pull it up again if you need it.
2. They have made threats that sound like they might have crossed the line into criminal violations. I don't have any of the information and have not listened to any of the voice mails, etc, but you should be aware that you have the right to seek the means to both defend yourself and to report them to the authorities. Under NY Penal Code 240.30, they may be guilty of Aggravated Harassment in the Second Degree, which is a class A misdemeanor. You have the right to report them to the police. The easiest way to do this is to drop by the precinct where you live. You might also ask the reporting officer whether they think it is appropriate to file for a restraining order to notify them to stay away from you.

This does not constitute legal advice or the engagement of my services as an attorney.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer