Violation of a Stalking Restraining Order

Asked 12 months ago - 33407

I have a final judgement on a restraining order and the person violated using a third party. Will it be required to show more than the police reports and the written testimony of my daughter who was contacted via a third party by the person listed in the restraining order. I really don't know if i can use my daughter written testimony being that she is only 11 years old. By the way its a whole lot of police reports (i.e., 3x a week law enforcement is taking a report on something since April of this year). Thanks for your help

1. Joseph Gufford III

Pro

5

Answered . Police reports and affidavits won't cut it for you. Police reports and affidavits are hearsay. Many people believe that police reports and notarized affidavits are admissible into evidence. They are not. You need actual live witnesses and testimony to win your case.

2. William Charles Rosenfelt

3

Answered . I agree with my colleague regarding how hearsay would seem to be problematic with your matter. However, I'm not sure what it is that you are describing----he's trying to contact you through third parties including your daughter? Is he allowed to see your daughter (i.e. is she his child ?) Is he threatening you?

3. Scott Michael Weiss

Pro

2

Answered . I agree, you need a witness to the "stalking" . Affidavits will not come into evidence. There is little chance the judge will even consider allowing your 11 yr old child's written statement. Unless your child in being put in danger the judge will not allow her statement/testimony.

4. Richard Scott Chizever

Pro

1

Answered . Your issue involves questions of evidence and as my colleagues advised, it does fall under hearsay. I would consult an attorney in order that your case can be presented effectively. Good luck.

5. Paul Grant Dwyer

1

Answered . To have the person arrested, the police only need to hear from you that he made contact. To have him convicted, the judge will have to hear from either your daughter OR the third person.

If I can help, please contact me at once.