Skip to main content

Village supervisor states that I'm responsible for water management

Pelham Manor, NY |
Filed under: Drainage law

When it rains, a section of my neighborhood floods due to several properties and their water runoff. Village supervisor states that I need to stop my rain gutters from flowing onto my property because it's contibuting to the flooding in the neighborhood. He wants me to put in drywells at my expense. How can he prove that my gutters are contributing. What extent is the term water management that I must follow?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Land topographical studies and engineering diagrams can easily display that your rainfall collection methods are or are not contributing to the neighborhood flooding. Visit the village engineering department to get the details of the information they have accumulated.

This kind or local ordinance is not a rare occurrence. Most towns, villages and cities have such measures in place to make sure that no one owner of land can flood out adjacent properties and adversely affect adjacent property values.

If your gutters are not the problem the engineering information should prove your point.

Good luck.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "Ethics: Yes I Need a Lawyer!"

Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer