Victim of domestic violence, now harassed (maternal alienation) as my recent divorce awarded abuser full custody of our 3 yr old

Newport News, VA |

Atypical victim (professional, educated) of severe IPV w/PTSD (healing) who escaped abuser 2 yrs ago w/only baby in tow, only to lose full custody of child recently in divorce. I was forced to represent myself w/my disability (up against abuser's 50K attorney), unprotected by ADA law, as female circuit court judge (ignorant of IPV effects on victim that interfere with her representing herself) forced me pro se & lost child. Saved money up to hire lawyer, but no one would rep me, siting I was a liability for "having proceeded too far pro se." Divorce finalized 2 weeks after tragic erroneous change in custody. Status quo misrepresented as abuser hadn't visited son in 2 yrs. Worst fears realized as abuser terrorizes me by restricting all access to my sweet boy who is suffering. SOS

After divorce, learned he was in a new relationship so child be exposed to domestic violence AGAIN as paramour-turned-lover moved in with him and is raising my child. Worse, abuser is unaccountable for his tendency to perpetrate family violence, putting any bystander (our child) at risk while doing so out of recklessness (this IS the reason I left him). At minimum, my life has been rendered worthless as I'm not even a mother anymore in the court's eyes (and I've only ever told the truth and tried to protect my son). My ex, my abuser, rubs it in every chance he gets- maternal interference was one of the many ways he psychologically terrorized at the end of the marriage. My child is directly in harm's way and I feel helpless to protect the little boy I so love. Moreover, I long to mother in peace and safety- something I have never known.

I read every word of your statement, and then reread it again. I'm sorry about your situation, but I did not see where you asked a question. What are you seeking? You've posted the question under "domestic violence" but you make no mention of any recent violent acts, other than those you alleged in the divorce and custody cases which have been resolved. Are there further acts of abuse, against you or your son? Are there acts of abuse against your ex's new wife/girlfriend? Are you looking for more visitation or change of custody? I just can't determine how to respond.

Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.

Were you granted any visitation at all? The father can't deny you visitation if it is Court ordered. That could affect custody down the road. Was there a GAL appointed for the son? When was the Court case?

What is your specific question?

David McCormick- Custody Attorney with McCormick & Calderon, Establlished in 1996 with offices in Newport News, Virginia Beach, and Norfolk.

What is your question?