Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I have a problem with my landlord I live in an apartment for a year and a half . my bedroom is' above the garage door that makes a lot of noise and rattles my room,my bed every time someone comes or goes , at all hours.. my bed shakes,i can not sleep, also the landlord does not take care of the electrical safety,i almost got electrocuted while cooking, circuit breaker didnt turn off. There are screens missing in my apartment and the general cleanliness what can I do? There are termites and spiders. Mold in the bathroom and no safety detectors, etc..carpet is old. tenants are very bad few months ago SWAT team visit the building. He also asked me for a copy of the rental contract,because he claims he does not have it. What should I do?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. David M Blain

    Contributor Level 11


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . It doesn't sound like a safe place to live. You should consider moving.

    The LL is not responsible to you for the noise created by the garage doors as they open and close. The LL is also not responsible for the general cleanliness of the unit, whatever that means.

    If there is a termite infestation or other rodent or insect infestation you should provide your landlord in writing in notice of the issue. Same goes with the electrical issues, mold and lack of safety detectors. If he fails to remedy the issues then send another written notice and demand that he fix the issues. If he continues to neglect his/her duties as a landlord then there are certain steps you can take such as the "repair and deduct remedy" or the "abandonment" remedy.

    For an explanation of these remedies please follow the link provided:

    This response does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and I. I am not your lawyer and I am not... more
  2. William Stanley Fitch

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered .
    You can make a report online and be contacted within 72 hours

    A proper response would require a thorough investigation into the history and background of this relationship.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,524 answers this week

3,252 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,524 answers this week

3,252 attorneys answering