Vermont civil union annulment for out of stater?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Detroit, MI

I am from MI & went to Vermont for a Civil Union. I found out a few months after that my partner suffered from a sever mental illness. Can I get my civil union annulled without having to move to Vermont?

1. Henry S. Gornbein

Pro

1

Answered . There is no civil union in Michigan so there would be no need for an annulment in Michigan because it wouldn't be recognized in Michigan as a marriage.
    You should talk to an attorney if you have any other questions. Good luck to you.

Henry Gornbein

2. Benjamin I. Hirsch

Answered . You've asked a very interesting question. The previous poster is correct, Michigan does not recognize civil unions. However, I would add that Michigan does recognize out of state judgments, and if there is a judgment in Vermont for support, you may be required to pay any monies on that. Assuming that both parties reside in Michigan, this may or may not be an issue, however I would contact a Vermont family law attorney and pose your question to them.
    Good luck and thanks for posting.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now