Verbal and Written Agreements with Medical Provider

Davis, CA |

A medical provider made a phone verbal agreement with a patient on monthly payment installments to pay for a medical bill and made a phone verbal promise to the patient not to send the bill to a collection agency.

The Medical provider then confirmed in writing the agreement of the payment installments.

The patient pays the installments every month as agreed. While the patient was making the monthly payment installments and having already paid half of the balance, the medical provider transfers the unpaid half of the bill to a collection agency.

Did the medical provider violate its verbal agreement with the patient to make monthly payments and not send it to a collection agency?

Did the medical provider violate its written agreement with the patient to make monthly payments?

Probably not. It was a shady thing to do, however, it appears the agreement not to go to collections was verbal only and therefore not enforceable. If the collection agency puts in on your credit then you may have an FDCPA or FCRA case because you are making payments as agreed.

Hold the collection agency to the original agreement and finish the payments. If your credit is damaged call a consumer right lawyer.

IMO, while it may have violated the agreement with the patient to accept monthly payments, it is not actionable because the patient was under a duty to pay the bill. Hence, no consideration flowed to the medical provider.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Contact them and ask that they remove it from collections and ask that any negative entry on a credit report be removed as you have a payment agreement and have been making the payments as agreed.