VAWA self petition and divorce.

Asked almost 4 years ago - Paterson, NJ

I had an approved VAWA petition and recently received my green card. My spouse was very abusive during our relationship. I am in the process of filling for divorce,but I was told to file a no fault uncontested divorce since it was cheaper and less time consuming and my wife is willing to sign all the documents instead of a divorce based on domestic violence. My question is, if I file a divorce based on something other than domestic violence, will that have a negative effect on my Green card or my chances of one day becoming a U.S citizen.

1. Ronald Glenn Lieberman

Pro

Answered . You should speak to an immigration attorney about your issues.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed.

2. Nicklaus James Misiti

Answered . No