VAWA question

Asked 6 months ago - San Francisco, CA

Can an immigrant claim abuse based on only the Temporary Restraining Order? Is that enough to file to later send to the USCIS to claim abuse for green card? The judge did not make it permanent, though.
I am asking this question because all judges tend to approve a TRO and then review the details during a permanent hearing to decide whether to make it permanent or dismiss it. Will the USCIS review and approve an attempted court order (TRO) and grant me the green card under VAWA or is it not that easy because anyone can go and get a TRO, so TROs have zero basis when claiming abuse? I only have the TRO to show to the USCIS to show them that I took steps to deter an abuse? The nature of abuse is just a threat, not a physical one and about a year had passed since the threat was made.

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

4

Answered . The immigrant should seriously consider talking to an immigration attorney.

2. David Alexander Concha

Pro

2

Answered . VAWA cases are difficult. The TRO is a piece of evidence, but not necessary in every case. You are going to have to give a detailed statement about the abuse. The statement and your credibility will be crucial to getting a VAWA approval. Consult with an immigration attorney to make the best strategy possible.

3. Wendy Rebecca Barlow

1

Answered . The immigrant really needs to schedule a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney. There are many elements the immigrant must establish to have a VAWA application approved. A TRO is just one type of evidence that may be submitted. Whether it will be enough depends upon more information about the relationship.