Skip to main content

VAWA case and remarry

Lynnwood, WA |

I was married to my first USC husband. He abused me so I left him and divorce.
I filed vawa case a year later, but since I don't have proof of his citizenship, I haven't received a case number for my I-360 yet.
It's been 4 months now though.
However, I'm seeing my current USC fiancé.
My question is: what should I do?
Does my new marriage will automatically end the vawa case?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. If you filed the VAWA case four months ago you should certainly have a receipt by now. You may want to consult with a family law attorney to assist you in obtaining what you need from your husband. The attorney can explain to his attorney that this would allow you to be independent of him and obtain a work permit rather than maintenance.

    Even if you prefer to proceed through your new fiance you would need to get divorced so this should be your priority.

    Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    Concentrating in Immigration and Nationality Law
    2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
    San Diego, CA 92108
    phone: (619) 299-9600, facsimile: (619) 923-3277

    Formerly Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
    University of Illinois College of Law

  2. I would recommend you speak with an attorney regarding your case. It may be advantageous to file a marriage petition when you marry your fiance. My firm handles VAWA and marriage based cases.
    Nicklaus Misiti
    Law Offices of NIcklaus Misiti
    212 537 4407

    Legal disclaimer: The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  3. It depends in part on how you entered the U.S. If you eneterd on a fiancee visa by your ex-husband, there are restrictions on attempting to adjust status based on marriage to someone else. It shouldn't be too difficult to obtain proof of your ex-husband's citizenship, I'd definitely contact an experienced immigration attorney. I have over 19 years of experience in this area.

    This reply is intended only as general information and does not constitute legal advice in any particular case. This reply does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Education law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics