VAWA and applying for citizenship after three years.

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I got my green card three years ago through VAWA and I am going to apply for my citizenship soon. Do I need to write a cover letter explaining that I qualify to apply for citizenship after three years and not five? Is there any special steps that need to be followed when applying for citizenship based on VAWA or just the normal steps? Which option should be chosen on the N400? If its "other" what should be written there?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No, no "cover letter"'accompanying the N-400 is needed or necessary. Just follow the "normal" steps.
    Select "other" and type in the same "class of admission" you read on your green card, or simply type: "VAWA".

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  2. Habib Hasbini

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . No need of cover letter.

    Law Offices of Hasbini 619-200.8986. Free on phone and in office consultation.
  3. Steven Tanijo


    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with my Colleague, USCIS is well aware of the VTVPA amending INA section 3 19(a) which allows for VAWA applicants to apply for naturalization after 3 years of being a Permanent Resident.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Carl Michael Shusterman

How to Renew your Green Card

Renewing your Green Card, or Permanent Resident Card, is important. If you have an expired Green Card you may be denied re-entry into the United States. You could also be charged with a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

21,927 answers this week

2,946 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

21,927 answers this week

2,946 attorneys answering