VAWA: Waiver for Crime of Moral Turpitude

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I have approved VAWA, I went in for my Adj interview, agent asked me about my crime (Grand Theft), cashed a bad check it was over $400 ($1000) and so a Felony which got Dismissed after Probation, I got a sentence of 120 days (went to work release for 40 days) and 3 yrs probation but was reduced to 1.5 years as I finished paying all the probation fees.
Few years later, I was falsely accused by an employer and arrested, I have an arrest record but no conviction, I am in process of getting that sealed by the court. I will be submitting all the information to the Agent soon as it's done.
In this case should I hire a lawyer for the next interview in order to explain this to the Agent. Do I need a waiver, agent was not sure & needs arrest record but sheriff policy will not give offender.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

13

1

Answered . I agree with Atty Behar.

Please click the link below for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic or In-Person
    https://shusterman.com/intake-secure.html
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

3

Answered . In order to qualify for VAWA you need to be a person of "good moral character ", that is why you had to send in a police report, etc.

You do not seem to meet that requirement based on the facts you present.

You should seek to retain an immigration attorney as soon as possible and not proceed with USCIS unrepresented, that would be a big mistake in your situation.

3. Mary Carmen Remigio Madrid-Crost

Pro

1

Answered . You should obtain the court disposition of the criminal complaints filed against you, as well as the hearing transcripts. Gather evidence to prove rehabilitaion. Seek the services of a good immigration lawyer.